I'm a lost newbie
  • Hi Folks,

I finally got lxle installed, and I am used to a Windows environment. I'm pretty much lost. Is there somewhere that explains what the different terminology means? I'm definitely not a techie, but I don't give up easily either. I have a whole lot to learn, beginning with the basics. Any recommendations?

Ed
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Welcome, Ed62!

You've done the challenge part ~ installing LXLE.

My advice is to just wade in ~ click on items in the menus to see what they offer.  As you go along, your favorite search engine will help you ~ just look up the name of the program with the term 'Linux' along with the program name in the search bar and read what you need to know!

If there's something that you particularly want to do or are interested, again, use the term 'Linux' and a description, etc.  For example, you like to edit photographs.  Search for:  Linux photo editing and you'll find GIMP returned ~ GIMP image editor is installed in the LXLE programs and you're good to go!  If you need tutorials ~ YouTube is your friend.

You may spend your entire time in Linux and not need the dreaded "command line interface" ~ but it's not scary at all and usually, you'll find cut-and-paste examples in articles that will keep you from having to memorize a lot of arcane commands.  Again, there are plenty of basic tutorials around.

Here's a link to get you started on terminology:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-confusing-key-terms-definitions/

Please understand ~ you do not need to be a master mechanic to drive a car and likewise, you do not need to be a so-called Linux guru to enjoy a modern distro!  For instance, I have a handful of friends that could care less about the nuts-and-bolts and only use the 'update' function by way of maintaining their computers.  And everyone of them agrees they didn't know how much they hated Windows until they had Linux.

99% of all gurus were beginners once and learned what they needed the same way you will!  Forums are great places with folks who share the interest and are more than willing to lend a hand!  The "Search" function here at the LXLE Forum is great, too!

When you have a more specific question you cannot find an appropriate solution, then I'd recommend posting a question here and let folks be helpful!

• Thank you, Zaka. What a nice welcome! I think that's good advice, and I'll be sure to use it. Why didn't I think of youtube? Everything's there.
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    Welcome Ed62

Adding to what Zaka said, Learning Linux is no different than learning to use an Android Phone, or an Ipad tablet. Most people use their computer for basic stuff such as browsing the web, reading email, listening to music, watching videos.

The big thing is learning which Linux programs do what. There are a lot of open source applications which run on Windows, Linux, as well as Apple. But they may or may not be in the repositories, and have to added differently.
     We install most applications, from the distributions repositories using an application called Synaptic among others.
     We also have some programs that only come in executable files with an extension .deb, the equivalent of the windows .exe. But we try not use them as they have higher security risks if they don't come from the repository.

This distribution comes with all the applications needed for most basic and dailey computer needs.

So as Zaka said, the best thing to do is just jump in and open all the applications in the menu and get familiar with what each one does.

The only time you need to be timid, is if you open a program and it asks for a password. This is when you are in administrative mode (which we call sudo) and have the power to mess up your install, if not careful.

That being said, you will have to use your password to add or remove applications. I would suggest that you be careful removing applications until you become real familiar with Linux, because sometimes removing on application may remove others which may render your install unusable. These are called dependencies (as in, one application may depend on another, to function as intended).

The best way to just explore, and mess around, is to boot off the live cd. Which if you mess it up, just reboot to it again. Or use the included application called systemback to set a restore point for your installed system (Similar to windows restore). This way it is far safer to experiment, and then restore, if any mistakes are made.

Hope this will help add confidence to your learning of Linux.

p.s.

Linux has had the equivalent of the android "Play Store" and Apples "Store" long before either of them.  They are called software repositories. If Linux called them a store, it would have to mean storage instead of store, since no credit cards are required!

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I would suggest instead on using the word 'linux' within your search query that instead to use the word 'ubuntu' as that is the base of lxle, linux is too general.

and don't forget http://uduck.org/
  • rfry85 and lxle, thanks for the posts. Good info. And thanks for the invitation, lxle. 
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads