How to Update LXLE Paradigm - Use Synaptic Package Manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    PMPosts: 0

Synaptic provides two methods for upgrading your system.

• One easy way to upgrade your system with Synaptic:
      • Click Reload or press Ctrl + R to make Synaptic aware of the latest updates.

• Click Mark all Upgrades or press Ctrl + G.

• Click Apply on the toolbar or press Ctrl + P. A dialog appears with a summary of the changes that will be made to your system.

• Click Apply to confirm the changes and go ahead with the upgrade.

Using the pre-configured Synaptic Package Manager guarantees that only
    the updates LXLE needs are performed; whereas, using 'apt-get' in the
    terminal allows new release upgrades which may not be LTS, nor may be compatible with certain 'spin' changes that LXLE incorporates.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
    Thanked by 2AxelH jheembob
  • vaikus84vaikus84
    PMPosts: 65
    Threads could have a print function, so that one could print out such important information :)
  • @Vaikus84, do you know how?  I just use bookmarks.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • Sadly no. That's why I'm suggesting it :)
  • Anonymouse52Anonymouse52
    PMPosts: 170
    I use 'Pocket' formerly 'ReadItLater'...
  • AxelHAxelH
    PMPosts: 11
    Cool, saintlulu! Thanks a lot!..
    I found the time to try this advice.
    No doubt, Synaptic is a very good tool. But it is as well sophisticated and does not allow an easy start.

I found some repositories were the upgrade failed. What is the best treatment? Just to delete these sources?
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @AxelH

I think you might be talking about the mediubuntu source that is no longer happening?  I just unchecked the box.   I believe that there is a tutorial on that in another thread.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Won't the "dist-update" function work?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    PMPosts: 0
    @Zaka   It is not that it "won't" work.  We just like to teach the most fail-proof lessons, especially for new comers to Linux.  New Comers have a hard time with grasping terminal commands, and some of them have poor typing skills to boot.  As support volunteers, it is way easier to be able to eliminate the possibility of typos from the list of things that could have gone wrong, while troubleshooting.

Don't forget that Synaptics is essentially the GUI for apt-get.  They are the same thing.  It requires a password to enter, but so does the terminal command.  So ease of access is the same.

Once a user understands what Synaptics does, it makes life easier for that user when going on to learn about Terminals.

Advanced users to LXLE do not need any of these lessons.  They are free to do whatever they want, as this is still a Ubutnu/Lubuntu release, and they likely have experience fixing things they break.

Thanked by 1Zaka
  • Having done :
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade ( when asked partial distribution upgrade = yes )
    apt-get dist-upgrade 

from terminal.... I suppose now I'm using a Lubuntu system, and no more a LXLE.... isn't it ?

( having anyway a backup I can restore and re-start )
    But..... correct instruction about LXLE dist-upgrade methods look quite HIDDEN for everybody not leaving into the forum/chat all night long....
    ;-)
    Just my 2 cents.....
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    danier,

You're still running LXLE ~ apt-get update searches the repositories enabled and performs actions where applicable.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine

Easy way to upgrade is to add a launcher to a panel (I use the side panel where it's out of the way) with the System Tools/Update Manager.