WinFF causes LXLE to freeze up
  • I'm trying to convert an instructional screencast I put together for a student to another video format that will be more likely to be compatible with what she is using (I will assume Windows Media Player).  By default, RecordMyDesktop saves the video in .ogv format, and it doesn't matter what I try to convert it to, whether it's .wmv, .avi, what have you, it completely causes my laptop to freeze up after a few minutes, leaving me unable to do anything other than reboot (just like WinD'OH!s).

I added the temperature monitor to the panel, but it's not overheating, so it's not an overheating problem -- but I don't know what it is that's going on here.

I'm running this from a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop, which is 64-bit and has 4GB of RAM on it, making this a pretty powerful computer.  Yet, something about WinFF seems to bring it down in spite of using the default lightweight LXDE desktop. :-(

Any ideas?
  • UPDATE:  I've opened the video in OpenShot and am converting it there.  So far it seems to be doing an excellent job, so I'm gonna consider this case closed.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    We switched to Arista transcoder some time back, might want to check it out.