Migrating to Linux
  • spicymustardspicymustard
    PMPosts: 23
    Hello! I have been working with computers all my life and always Windows. I do IT Helpdesk for a living but looking to move to a network admin position. For the past couple of months I have been using linux in VMs and on my laptop and trying to learn new things everyday. Stumbled across this distro on distrowatch and installed it last night onto my laptop. My battery lasts so much longer now! I will post in that thread separately though :)

Anyways, loving the OS so far and wanted to join in on the discussions here!
  • welcome spicy!
    i first tried lxle in an effort to make my netbook somewhat usable.  all other distros really bogged it down with its puny atom 1.6ghz processor and slow hdd.  lxle is the only one to ever make it feel snappy!  I went on to install it in other crappy systems i had like pentium 2.8 ghz and made several htpc out of them.  i put it on a core i5 with ssd and fast ram - it goes from login screen to desktop up and wifi connected in 4.5 seconds flat every time! 
    i am a net eng and can tell you that jobs are out there if you have mid level vendor certs (ccnp level).  install gns3 to make a virtual lap and start studying.  there are lots of CBTs out there if you know where to look.  ;-)
    Thanked by 1LG5Productions
  • Hi tesla,

I have my CCNA R&S but haven't decided where to go from here. CCNA Security.. CCNP R&S.. MCSA Windows Server 2012.. etc. Not sure how far down the networking hole I want to go :)
  • My first real computer was with windows xp, probably 2002 or so.  Now I have a degree in something computery...  Heard a lot about linux in school, resisted.  Tried ubuntu once... didn't really get it.  Later discovered unix command line stuff to be like word therapy.  A few months ago decided lets try LXLE... wow.  This is truly great.  A few problems here and there with the 64 verson.  Almost no problems with 32 bit version.  I would like to get more involved with this distro. 
    Thanked by 2Robin LG5Productions
  • I had an extra laptop lying around and thought I'd just experiment with Linux. Tried several distros but I like LXLE the best I think. (Oh, an extra, _old_ laptop -- Thinkpad X60s). I'm really pleased! The laptop works great, and it's really fun to be able to figure things out.
  • RobinRobin
    PMPosts: 24
    I'm now fully Microsoft-free.  LXLE has been largely trouble-free on two computers, but the desktop goes a little wonky on occasion.  I installed Xfce4 (bare-bones, just the Xfce DE) and even on an ancient Dell Dimension with 747 MB of RAM it runs flawlessly.  Better than Xubuntu, which was my go-to fanboy distro until LXLE came along and ran circles around it.  LXLE + Xfce 4 = the same wonderful performance I enjoyed in Xubuntu prior to 12.04.

• boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Ditto. :)
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit