LXLE Minimal Edition?
  • I have recommended LXLE to a bunch of people and they love it, but most of them say that they don't like the preinstalled programs (or atleast some of them).

So it got me thinking, what if there would be a minimal edition?
    What I (and others) like about LXLE the most is that absolutely everything works out of the box, however, people "tastes" in what programs they like to use differ a lot, so why not release an edition that doesn't include any programs at all (not counting Openbox and other crucial things)?

Just a simple suggestion, maybe this is a lot harder to be done than said.
    imageimageimage
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    They can download Lubuntu.
  • I'd like to second your motion. I would rather my installation not include games and other unused apps taking up space. Almost all of my computing uses just nine apps, and four of them did not come with LXLE.

I do think all of the Preferences and maybe System Tools should be included, in order to provide a true LXLE experience.

I will check out Lubuntu and see what it's like.

Until I installed LXLE, my most-used distro was the Debian Netinstall, a very bare-bones system to which I added only what I wanted.

Lane
  • I agree with LXLE, if you want something more slim line go with Lubuntu, but LXLE still faster and you get the best all around apps. This is a discussion that always ends up in what a individual likes, and no OS can supply the likes of all. You all can tweak it to your liking.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • lxlelxle
    Maybe this will clear a bit of things up. I have ripped every app out of LXLE and it still weighs in over 1gb, the games take up relatively nothing. The base it what makes it as large as it is, surprisingly the apps have little to do with it in the grand scheme of things. Except for maybe clamav and its virus database which can be hefty.
  • On Lubuntu my WiFi and camera don't work, on LXLE it works... I don't have time to google endlessly until I can fix stuff and that's why I use LXLE.
    I am not concerned about ISO size, I am concerned about space LXLE takes after a complete install. My SSD is very small, only 60GB and I am very picky about space at the moment...

Also, antivirus on Linux? What for?
    imageimageimage
  • lxlelxle
    with 60GB LXLE is using less that 1/6 of your drive. The antivirus is primarily for checking files either when receiving or before sending them out. Not everyone runs Linux and when I didn't have an antivirus in there, people emailed asking, 'why no antivirus? We do interact with Windows users'.
  • lxlelxle
    There was also a little bit of a psychological reason for including it, as those coming from other operating systems are used to seeing an antivirus on their systems.